Friday 27 July 2012

Greatest show on earth

I can't believe it's finally here - the 2012 London Olympics start today! I remember the day 7 years ago when London was awarded the Games. I was sat in my little terraced house watching the TV with my lodger Olivia. When they announced London had got it, we heard people cheering in the house next door too.

I can't imagine what it must feel like to be an athlete who has got to the Games. The pressure on those people who we 'expect' to win medals is huge. People's lives can really change in an instant, one minute your living your life, training hard, dreaming this dream of winning a medal, then you win, your catapulted to fame if it's a popular event like athletics, swimming, cycling. Your face is everywhere & everyone suddenly wants to know you. What about if you win a medal in a lesser known event like fencing, synchronised swimming or shooting. You've worked just as hard but the general public don't seem that interested. Do those competitors even care?

I did the planned interval session last night with some of the Derwent Runners. There was about 10 of us sprinting through the local park. It was hard work but over quickly. I like those kind of sessions.

This morning I went to train with Rich. I was moaning (as usual) that my calves hurt so we did some work on a foam roller. This lovely bit of kit is sort of like having a sports massage, only more painful. And you have to do it yourself. I used it on my calves, my IT band and my glutes. After rolling, we did some plyometric work -

Squats on a Bosu with a ViPR
Triple extension work with the TRX
Jack knifes on a swissball with press up
Double explosive jumps
Heel to bum kicks with a swissball

We finished off the session with more stretching and now my legs are feeling like my own again rather than 2 blocks of lead. It's strange that more exercise actually made me feel better!

4 weeks are up and today is the day that I can have an alcoholic drink. I made it. I'm not going to lie and say it was easy. If I hadn't left the house it would have been fine. I struggled when I was surrounded by other people having a drink. I've not started on the wine just yet but tonight, when the Olympic opening ceremony starts I'm planning on drinking some Proseco.

I've done 4 weeks of training 4 or 5 times a week. I can't remember the last time I exercised this much! Apart from the aches I actually feel great. I feel more determined than ever to complete every session on the list. I feel like I've got a purpose.

I'm very excited about the next 2 weeks, I'm off work, the Olympics is on, the weather forecast is looking good.

Let the Games begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment