Monday 16 July 2012

Nuts

I've not ran my 3 miles yet. I've been to Manchester today for a meeting & didn't fancy an early run on a Monday morning. I'm begining to regret it now, it wasn't raining when I woke up at 6.30am. It's throwing it down now. I suppose I could go to the gym and do 3 miles on the treadmill but it feels like cheating. I don't really enjoy running on a treadmill, it always seems to take such a long time and I get really hot. Running outside is usually a better experience. At least there are things to take your mind off the pain.

So I do I just man up, put my trainers on & go or should I wait for another hour? The BBC weather page says the rain should be dying away early evening so I think I'll wait a while.

In an attempt to feel less hungry I bought a small packet of mixed nuts today. I was horified to find out how many calories they contained. I know that they are meant to be full of protein so should keep you feeling full but hells teeth - 670 calories per 100g. There was 70g of them, so about 2 handfuls - so 469 calories. More than a Chunky KitKat. I still ate them though.

There's always articles, news reports, whole programmes, devoted to the rise of obesity in the UK. I think some of it must be down to people not understanding just how long it takes to burn calories. Maybe the information on the packaging could read something like this:

This pack of nuts contains 469 calories. You'll need to run 5 miles to burn them off. This could take anywhere between 25mins and 2 hours depending on your level of fitness.

I feel much better today than I did yesterday, the bath & early night must have helped. I'm 2 weeks into this now. In 8 weeks I'll have done the Great North Run. I'll be sitting in my house having actually run 13.1 miles. I want to feel like I've done the best preparation possible. Right, best get my trainers on then, rain or no rain!

No comments:

Post a Comment